Constellation and Satellite Navigation Systems Specialist
The Constellation and Satellite Navigation Systems Specialist will hold a lead technical role within KLEO, involved primarily in advanced systems architecting and design of the constellation geometry and supporting infrastructure. The successful candidate will be responsible for systems engineering tasks to support the company’s development of core Navigation Systems for the satellites and ground infrastructure to support operational activities. They will actively interface between other Engineering, Regulatory and Business Development teams, as well as, external international technical partners to ensure that the system design fulfills the company’s service delivery objectives respectively.
- Lead mission and system requirement definition and R&D activities for space and ground systems necessary for managing the Constellation geometry over the full life-cycle of the satellites: Launch, Commissioning, Orbit Raising, Constellation phasing, Station-keeping, Orbit Maintenance, Collision Avoidance, Decommissioning and Deorbiting.
- Develop concept of operations and orbit management processes for each phase of the mission
- Lead the review and procure of core navigation related systems such as advanced electric propulsion, GNSS, IMU, reaction wheel systems, etc.
- Procure or lead development of operational software for space situation awareness (SSA) and coordination of collision mitigation processes
- Use of advanced operational engineering tools for the development and testing of satellite navigation systems
- Manage interfaces and project tasks among KLEO engineers and partner organizations regarding the satellite and ground system design and build for demo satellites and for the main mission
- Conduct systems trades analysis balancing interdisciplinary technical trades with a customer-driven focus
- Breakdown projects into tasks that can be supported by junior engineers
- Mentor junior engineers in cross-disciplinary systems to provide added redundancy for team expertise
Ground Segment Engineering:
- Support development of operation systems / equipment for orbit management
Space Segment Engineering:
- Define subsystem requirements and specifications for propulsion and ADCS
- Support change management processes as new customer requirements emerge
- Support R&D activities for advanced electric propulsion concepts
- System modelling and validation
- Coordination with satellite prime manufacturers- Set up new users' accounts and profiles and deal with password issues
- Design and implementation of control systems, operational software, and toolkits to monitor and enhance operational efficiency
- Develop routine operations procedures and toolsets
- Develop scenarios for possible failure modes, determine likely anomalous behaviors and develop operational procedures to mitigate or minimize impact of operational anomalies
- Coordination with other satellite operators and government agencies for SSA and collision avoidance
- Provide operational support for the constellation management, performing routine orbit determination, collision monitoring, maneuver planning and anomaly support.
- Support development and implementation of test plans for customer demos
- Maintain awareness of technology trends and assist in the development of new products and services and be able to outline their architectural implementation and support trials
Skills and Qualifications
- Require advanced degree in a related field (i.e. Aerospace or Systems Engineering, with focus on orbit dynamics, ADCS and propulsion systems);
- Minimum 7 years of experience in satellite systems engineering or operations, with reasonable proficiency in all key spacecraft and ground systems
- Strong practical knowledge of systems engineering practices
- Confidence in working directly with potential customers, suppliers and subcontractors
- Experience developing systems documentation, requirements definition, test plans and procedures, and operational procedures
- Ability to work independently and effectively, co-coordinating tasks and responsibilities
- Strong analytical and excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communications and inter-personal skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills
- Fluency in English, other languages (particularly German or Chinese) considered an asset
- Willingness to travel overseas
- Practical experience in the commissioning and testing of satellite systems – satellite and ground based
- Experience in constellation management
- Knowledge of constant low-thrust trajectory analysis
- Business awareness and acumen
- Advanced programming/software engineering skills with good knowledge of MATLAB, Visual Basic, python and Java programming environments
- Challenging job with a high degree of responsibility and creativity
- Productive start-up work environment with flat hierarchies and flexible working hours
- Attractive salary related to skills and experience, and a permanent position
- Modern work environment
If you are interested in joining our team and being a part of innovating our incredible systems and services, please send us your full application with a cover letter specifically indicating your areas of interest.
You can submit your application by email to email@example.com.
Please take note of the attached Data Protection Policy, in particular regarding the provision of special categories of personal data within the meaning of Art. 9 General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your application can only be taken into account with the signed privacy statement.